They are the elements of journalism: The first among them is that the purpose of journalism is to provide people with the information they need to be free and self-governing.
To full fill this task:
1. Journalism’s first obligation is to the truth.
2. Its first loyalty is to citizens.
3. Its esence is a discipline of verification.
4. Its practitioners must maintain an independence from those they cover.
5. It must serve as a monitor of power.
6. It must provide a forum for public criticism and compromise.
7. It must strive to make the significant interesting and relevant.
8. It must present the news in a way that is comprehensive and proportional.
9. Its practioners have an obligation to exercise their personal conscience.
10. Citizens have rights and responsibilities when it comes to the news as well
– even more so as they become producers and editors themselves.
First of all, many people were marching in the activity of the Independent Declaration Movement in the Gothic district of Catalonia.
I confirmed its site on Thursday, October 26. There were a lot of young people participating. State police and town police were guarding with cars at the end of them. Two helicopters were flying over the city.
Recently, the interactions of the police and civil riots have been picked up in the news and the media even in the country where I live.
The news and media seem to report a part of the extreme interaction between the police and people in the city.
I feel the media is reporting a bit extreme. The whole city was lively and there were full of foreign tourists.
There was never any danger in the due to demonstration. In the demonstration march, young people frequently said the word “Catalonia, Libera.” and wrapped around the state flag on the back.
Luckily, there was no riot. Some participants were dancing and singing. It looked calm and unlike the image of the violence seen between police and citizens in the media.