What’s Electronic Press Kit?
An electronic press kit (EPK) is a press kit equivalent in electronic form. An EPK usually takes the form of a website or e-mail, though they are also known to exist in CD and DVD form.
Many companies make their electronic press kits available via the corporate website, where kits are offered in PDF format. An electronic press kit can be provided in any of the following formats:
- Video or audio cassette
- The Internet (e.g. E-mail, WWW, newsgroups, etc.)
- USB flash drive
The contents of an EPK media kit are similar to other types of media kit, but are likely to include a range of audio-visual material. Decisions about what to include in the EPK media kit will depend on the industry and target audience. As a general guide, an EPK in the music industry might contain the following:
- Music clips (audio files, CD or DVD)
- High resolution press photos
- Forthcoming tour dates
- Promotional videos
- Offline website or website links,especially links to relevant social media and music websites
- Media reviews and interviews
- “RIYL” or “recommended if you like” list (list of artists in similar styles or genres)
- Contact information
- High resolution, colour photos or images of key executives, the company logo, products, etc.