They are the elements of journalism: The first among them is that the purpose of journalism is to provide people with the information they need to be free and self-governing.
To full fill this task:
1. Journalism’s first obligation is to the truth.
2. Its first loyalty is to citizens.
3. Its esence is a discipline of verification.
4. Its practitioners must maintain an independence from those they cover.
5. It must serve as a monitor of power.
6. It must provide a forum for public criticism and compromise.
7. It must strive to make the significant interesting and relevant.
8. It must present the news in a way that is comprehensive and proportional.
9. Its practioners have an obligation to exercise their personal conscience.
10. Citizens have rights and responsibilities when it comes to the news as well
– even more so as they become producers and editors themselves.